Thursday, November 4, 2021

The Glistening Sun Catcher

Hanging in the window of my kitchen is an array of stained glass sun catchers placed in just the right position to bring into my kitchen a kaleidoscope of colors for me as the sunlight streams through them. Suncatchers are amazing little things and are so pleasing to the eye.

One sun catcher delights me more than its beauty. Whenever I gaze at it, I am immediately taken back years to my own mother’s kitchen, where it also hung, enchanting her with the same beautiful rainbow of colors. This sun catcher is shaped like musical symbols and reminds me of the love for music that existed in my mother’s life throughout my childhood and hers.

When my mother was a child, her mother taught her how to play the piano, but her love of music continued beyond that. She was always a part of a church choir and took the time to teach her own children how to play the piano. Later in life, she became a member of the “Melody Bells”, a large female barbershop group. She would spend hours practicing and participating in many competitions, bringing much joy to her life and all those who knew her.

Music was so important to my mother that she carefully planned the program for her own funeral. When that day came, the “Melody Bells” sang her favorite song, “On Eagles Wings.” Her memory and love of music live on through her children and grandchildren. Today many of them are either in choirs, singing groups, or learning to play the piano. But I am particularly blessed, for I inherited the musical sun catcher!

Dedicated in memory of my mother, Claire V. M. Brisson 1927-1998 

 

No comments: